Road Traffic Accident Solicitors
Car Accident Claim Solicitors in Nottingham
Road traffic accidents can be caused by a number of factors from poor weather conditions, negligence of other road users, vehicle malfunctions through to poor road maintenance.
If you have been involved in an accident on the road, as the driver or a passenger, we suggest seeking legal advice at the earliest opportunity.Call our Personal Injury Team Email our Personal Injury Team
Road Traffic Accident Claims
Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience and the injuries sustained can vary from minor whiplash to severe and life-changing, requiring rehabilitation and on-going medical support.
Our team of specialist Car Injury Lawyers are available to help you claim compensation on a No Win No Fee basis.
What should I do after a car accident?
Everyone hopes not to be involved in a car accident. But, unfortunately, it is something that can happen regardless of any precautions you may take; a careless driver appearing and crashing into you. Or maybe you hit an unexpected pothole causing you to lose control of the vehicle.
Being involved in a car accident can be a terrifying experience. And this can cause the people involved to struggle to think rationally. This is perfectly natural, however, it can make the situation hard to deal with.
We’ve listed actions you should and should not take.
What to do after a car accident:
- Immediately stop the car no matter how minor the accident was
- Turn off your engine and put on your hazard lights
- Check yourself and any passengers for injuries
- If anyone is seriously injured, your first priority should be to call for an ambulance
- If safe to do so, get out of your vehicle and start collecting photographs. You want to collect images of your vehicle, any damage to it, the scene of the accident and images of any injuries sustained
- Should it be possible, and doesn’t put you at risk, take photographs of the other vehicle or vehicles involved. This can help prevent other drivers from making false claims against you
What NOT to do after a car accident:
- Do not drive away. This is against the law. Failing to stop at a road traffic accident is an offence that carries a maximum of six months of imprisonment
- Do not argue with any other driver or people involved. Emotions are likely to be quite high between all parties. Arguing can make the situation worse. If you feel that you cannot communicate with the other driver, either because of yourself or the other driver is angry, the best cause of action is to contact the police to allow for open dialogue
- Do not admit responsibility or apologise for the accident, even if you think you might be to blame. These could be taken as an admission of guilt and impact your claim. Identifying who is at fault is the responsibility of the relevant insurance companies to determine
Calling the police after a road traffic accident:
- It is advisable to call the police after an accident. However, whether you contact them through 999 or 101 will depend on the circumstances
- Call 999 if the accident is a major incident, there are serious injuries or vehicles are blocking the road. 999 should also be called if the other driver commits a hit and run offence leaving without exchanging details; if you suspect the other driver is under the influence of drink or drugs, or they do not have insurance
- You can also call 999 if the other driver becomes a threat and you fear for your safety
- Call 101 for an accident that does not require any emergency services
Regardless of whether you call 999 or 101, all road accidents need to be reported at your local police station within 24 hours of it occurring. Failing to report an accident is a crime and can result in a fine, points to your license, or disqualification from driving.
Exchange motoring details:
- Share your name, address and contact details with everyone else involved in the accident
- Collect the names, addresses and contact details with everyone else involved in the accident
- Swap your insurance details and collect the insurance details of the other driver(s)
- Make a note of the time and date of the accident as well as the weather conditions
- If possible, record the model, make and number plate details of all the vehicles involved
- Collect the names and contact details of any witnesses that saw the accidents
What to do next:
For many small car accidents, you may be able to complete your claims process quite seamlessly through the insurance companies.
However, if the accident resulted in a serious personal injury that is affecting your quality of life, it is advisable to contact a car accident solicitor to handle your claim process.
A qualified solicitor will be able to investigate the evidence of the accident more thoroughly to identify a possible personal injury claim and ensure you get the relevant compensation amount to your injuries.
If you are unsure if you have a case, we offer a Free Claim assessment. Contact us today to find out if you have a claim.
How long after a car accident should I make a claim?
The law puts a limitation of the time scales for which you can make an accident claim.
You have three years to make your claim from either:
- Three-years from the date the accident occurred
- Three-years from the date that the injuries from an accident become known
It is advisable to start your claim by contacting a solicitor as soon as the accident occurred to allow for enough time for the investigation to happen.
However, there are exceptions to the three years rule. These are:
- If the injured party is a child, in which case claims have to be made before their 18th birthday, or,
- The accident causes a mental disability, in which case the time limit does not apply until, or if, the injured party has recovered.
Do car accident claims go to court?
It is rare that car accident compensation claims go to court. Most cases are handled by negotiation.
Court cases generally occur when the other party refuses to take responsibility or when the negotiation over the compensation amount fails.
When this happens, it is necessary to bring the claim to court to have an impartial judge make a ruling based on the evidence provided.
In the unlikely event of your case going to court, your solicitor will be able to advise you on the necessary steps.
How much is my car accident injury claim worth?
Every case is different and therefore it is hard to provide a general figure for the compensation award you are likely to get. This is because there are many individual and unique factors that will go into making a compensation amount.
For example, your compensation amount could look at:
- Cost of damage to the vehicle
- Loss of earnings
- Rehabilitation costs
- Cost for extra healthcare support
- Possible adaptations to your home
- Ongoing and future support costs
How long does a road traffic accident claim take?
No two cases are the same which makes it difficult to predict how long a claim can take. The length of your claim will typically depend on two factors:
- How severe your injuries are
- Whether the other party accepts liability and responsibility
Your solicitor will work hard to get your case moving as quickly as possible so you can get the compensation you deserve.
If needed, our solicitors will also help you claim interim payments for serious cases where you need financial support for loss of earnings or extra healthcare support.
What type of car accident injuries can I make a claim for?
- Whiplash injuries
- Accidents involving cyclists
- Accidents involving pedestrians
- Accidents involving passengers
- Accidents involving drivers
- Accidents involving buses
- Accidents involving foreign registered vehicles
How do I start to make a claim?
For a Free Claim Assessment, get in touch with us as soon as possible after the car accident has occurred.
We will guide you through the process which will begin with us gathering as much information about the car accident and the injuries that you have sustained as a result.
Our Personal Injury team is highly experienced in conducting claims on behalf of individuals who have been involved in accidents on the road, they offer a highly personal and supportive service.
Why should I choose Rotheras as my Solicitors?
If you have been injured in a car accident, our Injury Claim team can help you claim compensation.
- Act on a ‘No Win, No Fee’ basis
- We operate a small team of highly experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers
- You will be assigned a solicitor that will be your point of contact throughout your case. They will be on-hand to give you guidance and support you throughout your claim
- Help with claims of varying severity, from minor whiplash claims to serious catastrophic injuries
- Help you claim for medical bills, repairs to your vehicle and also any income you have lost as a result of having had to take time off work because of your injuries
- We will work with you to gather information about the accident to help build your case
- Through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau scheme, we can assist you if you have been involved in a ‘hit and run’ accident or a collision with an uninsured driver
- Help you in accessing rehabilitation services for severe injuries
Award-winning and Accredited Law Firm
Send us a message
“We fight to get you the compensation you deserve”
Head of Personal Injury
"Impressive group with expertise in both matrimonial finance cases and children matters. A strong childcare team handles cases involving physical and emotional abuse, as well as fatalities. Well versed in matters with international aspects, Hague Convention cases, as well as adoption and guardianship issues.
Chambers UK, 2018
Anton Balkitis frequently represents the operators of both goods and passenger vehicles in court proceedings. Clients remark: "He has a commercial understanding of real-life issues and will always provide a balanced view
Chambers UK, 2019
Impressive group with expertise in both matrimonial finance cases and children matters. A strong childcare team handles cases involving physical and emotional abuse, as well as fatalities. Well versed in matters with international aspects, Hague Convention cases, as well as adoption and guardianship issues.
Chambers UK, 2018
Chris Powell at Rotheras was recommended to us by a trusted associate within the Transport Industry; without doubt we wouldn’t have had the excellent outcome we did without his and his team’s involvement. The level of professionalism, expert advice and assistance was faultless; we felt reassured and well informed throughout the whole process. It was a pleasure to do business with him and would highly recommend his services!
Julian Brindley - John Brindley Ltd
The team at Rotheras, and Mr Powell in particular, have provided us with an outstanding service. We are extremely grateful for the help and support they gave us in dealing with issues relating to our transport operations and our goods vehicle operators licence. Mr Powell was professional, knowledgable, efficient and effective. He quickly understood our business and the problem we had. He responded with sensible advice and acted quickly on our behalf to resolve the matter. I cannot thank him enough for his help and I would recommend Mr Powell, and the Rotheras team, without hesitation. I am extremely grateful for the help they gave us.
Richard Hitchcock - Hitchcock & King
I would highly recommend James Briggs, solicitor at Rotheras. He has been extremely helpful, patient and thorough whilst helping me with affairs following the death of my husband. Even during lockdown (covid) he maintained communication and kept me informed of what was happening. He successfully achieved the outcome I needed and I would not hesitate to recommend him.
We are in the middle of launching our own packaging agency and contacted Rotheras for some professional legal advice with regards to contracts. After an initial call with Billy, he made it clear what we needed and asked plenty of questions to understand what it was we needed. He was very responsive to our questions, whether it be over the phone or via emails and made the process really simple. We had little experience in this area so it was fantastic to work with Billy, who explained everything concisely. We were also really pleased with the quick turnaround and great value offered. Would thoroughly recommend working with Rotheras.
Tom Burden, Director of Rightbox Ltd
Billy understood our requirement from the get go and really nailed down on what we needed in our commercial agency agreement. Billy kept us informed every step of the way and showed great professionalism. We would recommend his services to any start-up business who is in need of legal advice and guidance with commercial contracts.
Axl Barber, Sales Director of Rightbox Ltd
I was extremely pleased with the service that Kerry provided in order to sell my mothers house. Good, prompt communication and all questions dealt with or answered as requested. Consequently I would recommend yours services to others.
Anton has substantial experience acting for commercial goods hauliers and other transport operators. He advises on a range of contentious issues including operator licence, maintenance and tachograph matters, with a wealth of experience acting in public inquiries before Traffic Commissioners."Anton is a highly informed and personable lawyer.
Chambers UK, 2020
Chris Powell focuses his practice on road transport issues, regularly representing haulage, transport and logistics companies. He has considerable experience in regulatory matters involving operator licences and compliance failings, as well as more serious criminal investigations relating to fraud.
Chambers UK, 2020
Dear Sally, I can’t thank you enough for today! You took the pressure off me and I felt so looked after and understood everything that was happening. Thank you so much!
Greg qualified as a solicitor in 2006 and has specialised in Personal Injury for more than 14 years. He acts for clients who have suffered life changing injuries. Greg also specialises in cosmetic and clinical negligence claims.
Paul Smith is a Personal Injury Solicitor at Nottingham-based law firm Rotheras Solicitors; he has 19 years’ experience working as a Personal Injury solicitor, covering a broad range of injury cases.
Jasmine Jackson is a trainee Solicitor in the Personal Injury department at Rotheras and is based at our Lace Market Office.
Rebecca is a Senior Paralegal in the Personal Injury department at Rotheras and is based at our Lace Market Office
Holly is a Senior Paralegal who assists within the Personal Injury Department based in our Lace Market offices.
Hannah Manewell is a Personal Injury Solicitor at Nottingham-based law firm Rotheras Solicitors and has spent the entirety of her 13 year career working in Personal Injury, covering a broad range of injury cases.
Can my employer make me have the Covid Vaccine?
The government has announced that COVID-19 vaccinations are to become mandatory for care home staff. Staff are to be allowed a grace period in which to have the vaccine or face being redeployed away from frontline care or losing their job.
Posted on 20/07/2021
No-fault divorce law coming in April 2022
Seeking to put an end to the ‘blame game’, the long awaited ‘no fault’ divorce legislation was given Royal assent and became an Act of Parliament on 25th June 2020. Despite this it is not expected to be implemented until 6th April 2022.
Posted on 19/07/2021